Friday, April 5, 2013

{Blog Tour} Book Review: Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt

  10594356I apologize for posting this a day late! My life has been crazy!

Publisher: Bloomsbury
Release Date: March 26th 2013
Genre: Contemporary
Source: eBook via NetGalley
Challenge(s): Standalone, NetGalley

When Mallory’s boyfriend, Jeremy, cheats on her with an online girlfriend, Mallory decides the best way to de-Jeremy her life is to de-modernize things too. Inspired by a list of goals her grandmother made in1962, Mallory swears off technology and returns to a simpler time (when boyfriends couldn’t cheat with computer avatars). The List:

1. Run for pep club secretary
2. Host a fancy dinner party/soiree
3. Sew a dress for Homecoming
4. Find a steady
5. Do something dangerous

But simple proves to be crazy-complicated, and the details of the past begin to change Mallory’s present. Add in a too-busy grandmother, a sassy sister, and the cute pep-club president–who just happens to be her ex’s cousin–and soon Mallory begins to wonder if going vintage is going too far.

Going Vintage was a fast, light-hearted, and surprising look at how technology affects our lives and influences our relationships. Filled with realistic characters, an exciting plot, and laugh-out-loud humor, Going Vintage is something you will not want to miss!

Initially, Mallory ditches her boyfriend and all technology on a whim, but throughout the book you can see how her choice affects her in both good ways and bad. Her choice is tested multiple times, pushing her to the point where she almost caves in, but she stuck with her commitment, which I loved.

I LOVED all the characters. Mallory is slightly stubborn and not perfect in the slightest, and that's what makes the reader fall in love with her. And yet Mallory seemed almost plain in comparison to the wide array of characters surrounding her. Ginnie was clever and quirky, and an all around amazing sister.

Ginnie and Mallory had a great relationship that almost made me want to treat my sisters better. (I said almost). Ginnie was an amazing sister. You never see families, let alone families that don't hate each other, in YA. Mallory’s relationship with her parents was realistically portrayed, but not overdone, which was nice.

I thought it was incredibly clever how each chapter began with a list. Mallory and I both seem to be compulsive list-makers, so it was nice to see that shown in the book.

Going Vintage was a hilarious story with some small truths woven in, which will make readers step back and look at what’s really important to them in a refreshing way.

recommendations

130607341313266110861195
squeakycleanA couple kisses, talk of making out

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally desperate to read this book! I've heard nothing but good things. And it's always nice to think of what life would be like without inescapable technology... personally, losing my phone feels a lot like losing a limb, so maybe that would be a little difficult for me. But I guess I can live vicariously through the book, right? :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...