Friday, May 3, 2013

Author Interview: Jodi Meadows

jodimeadows

 

 

 

Jodi Meadows lives and writes in the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia, with her husband, a Kippy*, and an alarming number of ferrets. She is a confessed book addict, and has wanted to be a writer ever since she decided against becoming an astronaut.

Asunder*A Kippy is a cat.


You can learn more about her by visiting her on Facebook, Twitter, or her Website!

DARKSOULS
Ana has always been the only one. Asunder. Apart. But after Templedark, when many residents of Heart were lost forever, some hold Ana responsible for the darksouls–and the newsouls who may be born in their place.

SHADOWS
Many are afraid of Ana’s presence, a constant reminder of unstoppable changes and the unknown. When sylph begin behaving differently toward her and people turn violent, Ana must learn to stand up not only for herself but for those who cannot stand up for themselves.

LOVE
Ana was told that nosouls can’t love. But newsouls? More than anything, she wants to live and love as an equal among the citizens of Heart, but even when Sam professes his deepest feelings, it seems impossible to overcome a lifetime of rejection.

In this second book in the Newsoul trilogy, Ana discovers the truth about reincarnation and will have to find a way to embrace love and make her young life meaningful. Once again, Jodi Meadows explores the extraordinary beauty and shadowed depths of the soul in a story equal parts epic romance and captivating fantasy.

You can order Asunder today from Amazon or The Book Depository!

How was writing a sequel harder than the first book

Fitting in the backstory. 

It's hard to figure out the right balance of backstory. You don't want to just dump in a ton of information, but you don't want to leave it out, either. Finding the best way to seed in reminders is incredibly difficult! 

Why is music such an important part of Ana's journey

Music is a universal language. It speaks to all of us, and can convey emotions sometimes words can't manage. 

In Ana's case, it's the only thing that makes her feel good. Music is the only thing that seems to understand her and what she's going through. It's how Sam connects with her and helps her grow beyond her pain. 

You can pick any of your characters to go to lunch with. Who do you choose, where do you go, and what do they order

Either Sam or Ana. Both would be nice! I think they'd like Italian food. (I know I do.) Or Mexican food! (Mmm.) We could order sopapillas! I mean something healthy. 

What advice do you have for aspiring writers

Read. Write. Revise. Learn. Don't let rejection get you down. Everyone gets rejected. Focus on improving your craft and telling stories that make your heart soar.

What books would you recommend to a fan on Incarnate

Gosh. Lots. But a few to get you started:

DEFIANCE by C.J. Redwine
THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS by Rae Carson
PEGASUS by Robin McKinley

I recently just updated my recommendation page here. http://www.jodimeadows.com/?page_id=225

Who was the hardest character to write

They're all pretty hard to write. But . . . maybe Ana? In some ways, she was really easy to write. Her voice is just so natural to me. But in other ways, she was incredibly difficult. For one, she's a lot braver than I am! And two, she thinks and reacts in different ways from me. And since she's the point of view character . . .

Butterflies are symbolic in Incarnate, and Roses in Asunder. Any idea what symbols we might find in Book 3?

Yep! Book three is already written and turned in, so I absolutely do know what the symbol is for that book. But I can't tell you.

You'll figure it out when I'm allowed to share the cover. Probably May or June.

I’m looking forward to it! Thank you, Jodi, for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...