Thursday, May 9, 2013

{Blog Tour} Book Review + Author Guest Post: Wednesdays in the Tower by Jessica Day George

  Wednesdays in the Tower

Publisher: Bloomsbury Children’s
Release Date: May 7th 2013
Genre: Middle-Grade Fantasy
Source: ARC from Publisher
Challenge(s): Sequels

A castle that is constantly rearranging itself, and a young royal family sworn to protect it... Celie, Rolf, and their beloved Castle Glower are back in this exciting sequel.

Strange things are afoot in Castle Glower: new rooms, corridors, and even stables keep arriving, even when they aren't needed. Celie's brother Bran, the new Royal Wizard, has his hands full cataloguing an entire storeroom full of exotic and highly dangerous weapons, while Celie has her hands full . . . raising the creature that hatches from a giant egg she finds! Will they be able to find out what's making the Castle behave this way in time?

I'm a huge Jessica Day George fangirl, so I was so excited to read this! I was overjoyed to discover that Wednesdays in the Tower had just as much quirky fun as the first one, but this time taking them on an all-new adventure.

Celie is a wonderful character. She’s clever and witty, and princessy without the pomp. She’s the kind of girl everyone wants to be friends with. In this book we get to know Celie much better, and watch her mature as chance thrusts a baby griffin into her hands. She makes a wonderful mother to Rufus, all while keeping him hidden from the other residents of the castle.

I had so much fun exploring Castle Glower in all of its glory. New things popping up and a mystery bigger than anyone realizes keep both Celie and the reader on their toes. All the new rooms were incredibly creative, and had me wishing that I could visit Castle Glower.

Wednesdays in the Tower was a light, fresh, and thoroughly enjoyable sequel to such a fun Middle-Grade novel that promises to hook readers.

recommendations

tuesdays at the castleHarry Potter 1Frog PrincessKat Incorrigibledragon slippers

Squeaky Clean Rating--No Mature Content


Guest Post on Creating Castle Glower from Jessica Day George

tuesdays at the castleI absolutely love coming up with new rooms for Castle Glower. I’m not usually one of those writers whose characters do and say things on their own, but Castle Glower is the exception. It has rooms even I don’t know about, and I feel like I’m discovering them right along with Celie. Oh, a bouncy room? Neat! A secret passage? Even better! I did try to make sure that nothing was too convenient, that the Castle didn’t just offer Celie rooms and corridors before she even knew she needed them. Many of the rooms and passages in WEDNESDAYS IN THE TOWER were mentioned but never used in TUESDAYS AT THE CASTLE, and vice versa. I loved trying to find a way to describe the bouncy-floored room, without using the word “trampoline” which sounded too modern, but that was also kind of a challenge. How do I say, She’s jumping on a trampoline! without actually saying that word? I loved building a playroom for Rufus, and exploring the holiday feasting hall, particularly once it was full of treasures from around the Castle. I do have a hard time keeping track of what rooms are where, and I have to draw terrible little maps that only make sense to me in order to keep a handle on the Castle and what it’s up to!


About the Author

jessica-day-georgeJessica Day George earned a BA in Humanities/Comparative Literature from Brigham Young University, where she enjoyed classes in Pottery and Old Norse, and dutifully forced herself to take Algebra and Biology. Originally from Idaho, she now resides in Salt Lake City, Utah, with her husband and three young children.

Find her on Twitter, Facebook and Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm glad this was a fun sequel because I loved Tuesdays at the Castle. I look forward to catching up with Celie, the Castle, and the gang again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm a HUGE Jessica Day George fangirl too! I've been in love with her writing ever since I read Dragon Slippers years and years ago. I absolutely ADORED Tuesday's at the Castle, and I'm super glad to hear that Wednesday's at the Castle is just as good! Great review, Debz!

    ~Lynette @ Escaping Reality – One Book at a Time

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...