Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Book Review: The Elite by Kiera Cass

  The Elite

Publisher: Harper Teen
Release Date: April 23rd 2013
Genre: Dystopian Fantasy
Source: Won ARC
Challenge(s): Sequels, Dystopia

Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.

The Selection was the book everyone was talking about in 2012. I mean, who can resist a poofy dress and some drama? I certainly couldn’t. And so I read it, despite some of the controversy surrounding it. I came out loving it to pieces! And then I had the good luck of having an ARC of The Elite appear in front of me. But would I love it as much as the first?

Yesiree!

Where do I begin? The Elite was just as fun as the last one, but with a new maturity to it. There’s still plenty of the silliness and drama, but the plot is thickening. Things have been narrowed down, the stakes have been raised, and soon the final decision will be made.

I loved the way the competition was progressing. With it narrowed down to only The Elite, the girls have more responsibilities placed on them, in the form of reality-show style challenges that reminded me of shows like The Apprentice and Design Star (I don’t know how intentional that was, but it was super funny!) We also got to see how the girls act with one another, knowing that if they aren’t careful, they’ll be picked out!

And now…the boys.

Let’s start with Aspen. He’s kind of a jerk. And he’s back in the picture. A strange coincident landed him as a castle guard, and so he and America are running into each other quite frequently, leading America to reevaluate her feelings for him. But he hasn’t changed at all. He’s still a jerk!

I’m kind of conflicted when it comes to Maxon. I loved him even more than I did in the Selection and then he did some things that didn’t sit well with me. Or America, for that matter. These were the brief moments when America wanted to go back with him, and I almost agreed with her. But then he went back to being all amazing and I’d forgive him for everything. By the end I was swooning like crazy over him.

America is a difficult character. She's very independent and strong-willed which I admire, but she also doesn't think things through and is indecisive, which can be very irritating. She also seemed to be pushing people away from herself, which really affected her relationships in the book. In the end I think I really liked her, though.

The writing was a vast improvement to that in The Selection, which made for an overall more enjoyable experience. Kiera is definitely an author I look forward to reading much more of (especially if Maxon is involved).

A Little Smudge Rating--Mild Mature Content[Mild language, a couple make-out sessions]

Amazon     Author website     Goodreads

1 comment:

  1. Yep, Yep and Yep. I literally just finished The Elite myself and I can only agree withe everything you said. Although I did enjoy it (a lot, actually) I don't consider it an amazing novel. The reality-show style is certainly entertaining, though and Cass's writing makes the books so easy to devour! Also, Aspen IS nothing but a jerk. I don't even get why America cares about him anymore. I was a bit shocked by some of the things Maxon pulled off, but in the end, I just loved him :) I'm so glad you liked it and am already hooked for book three!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...