Thursday, September 19, 2013

Bite Sized Reviews: What’s Left of Me, Eve, and The Memory of After

bitesizedI’m introducing this because I really need to catch up on reviews that are MONTHS overdue. These are mostly going to be like regular reviews, only shorter, and probably more vague, and I’ll be including the date I read it, just to give you an idea. I’ll also most likely do multiple reviews per post (though generally they’ll be linked by some theme) because that’s simplest on my end.

What's Left of Me (The Hybrid Chronicles, #1) by Kat Zhang
 
 
Publisher: HarperTeen
Narrator: Kim Mai Guest
Release Date: September 18th 2012
Genre: YA Supernatural Dystopia
Source: Audiobook from Library
When I Read It: February 26th

I should not exist. But I do.

Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t . . .

For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet . . . for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.

What's Left of Me was an enjoyable, unique story with a strange and promising premise.

I was disappointed by the dystopian aspects. I felt like there was so much more potential.

It's kind of hard to wrap my head around the concept of two souls in one body, but I thought it was well executed, and the world-building in this alternate universe was good.

The writing was pretty average. It wasn't bad at all, but nothing made it stick out, beyond the oddity of the narrator being two people and one at the same time.

Still, I thought both Addie and Eva had distinct personalities, which I liked.

The plot was kind of slow-moving, but interesting. At some point about 2/3rds in things took a dramatic turn, and I found myself going back to see if I'd missed something important.

Definitely new and interesting!

 
Eve by Anna Carey
 
Publisher: HarperTeen
Narrator: Tavia Gilbert
Release Date: October 4th 2011
Genre: YA Post-Apocalyptic
Source: Audiobook from Library
When I Read It: March 4th

Where do you go when nowhere is safe?

Sixteen years after a deadly virus wiped out most of Earth’s population, the world is a perilous place. Eighteen-year-old Eve has never been beyond the heavily guarded perimeter of her school, where she and two hundred other orphaned girls have been promised a future as the teachers and artists of the New America. But the night before graduation, Eve learns the shocking truth about her school’s real purpose—and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Arden, her former rival from school, and Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust... and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.

STOPPED AROUND 30% IN

My first DNF of the year, and it's an audiobook! There was nothing horrible about this book that made me stop, but it wasn't holding my interest at all. Right from the start there was lots of action and horrifying information being revealed, but even though Eve is on the run and everything, it seems like everything just started dragging.

I will say that the world-building was good, from what I got from it, but nothing incredibly creative. It actually reminded me a lot about Wither, with a dash of The Giver. But there was nothing particularly new and interesting to me.

I also didn't like Eve's character. Even though she's been brainwashed her entire life and has stumbled into a situation that nightmares are made of, I want a character I can root for!

The narrator of Eve was excellent for the most part. She had a strong, fierce voice, but her speaking voice for Eve made her sound like a weak, scared little girl.

I've heard it gets better later on, but I'm not invested enough in the characters or plot to care.

 

The Memory of After (The Memory Chronicles, #1) by Lenore AppelhansPublisher: Simon & Schuster
Narrator: Jenna Lamia
Release Date: January 15th 2013
Genre: YA Paranormal/Contemporary
Source: Audiobook from Library
When I Read It: February 15th

Since her untimely death the day before her eighteenth birthday, Felicia Ward has been trapped in Level 2, a stark white afterlife located between our world and the next. Along with her fellow drones, Felicia passes the endless hours reliving memories of her time on Earth and mourning what she’s lost-family, friends, and Neil, the boy she loved.

Then a girl in a neighboring chamber is found dead, and nobody but Felicia recalls that she existed in the first place. When Julian-a dangerously charming guy Felicia knew in life-comes to offer Felicia a way out, Felicia learns the truth: If she joins the rebellion to overthrow the Morati, the angel guardians of Level 2, she can be with Neil again.

The Memory of After was strange, but not at all in a bad way. It's a story of a girl stuck in the not-quite-after-life, trying to sort out her past, and figure out exactly what's going on in this other worldly waiting room she's trapped in.

I liked Felicia, and even though personality wise we’re completely different, there are some experiences of hers that I could really relate to and understand on a deeper level based purely on personal experience.

I really liked the plot to start with. I was intrigues by Level 2 and was anxious to learn more about it. I think what fascinated me the most was the idea of memory banks, and honestly, my favorite parts were those moments traveling through Felicia's old memories.

While it started out with lots of promise, about half way through, the plot took a turn into paranormal territory, which was an instant turn off. There were little hints of this or that, but then suddenly there was an overload of weird angel stuff going on. I feel it could’ve been successful, but it fell short of it’s potential.

Aside from that, though, I really did enjoy The Memory of After (which was still titled Level 2 when I read (listened to) it, but I like the new title and cover better) a lot.

3 comments:

  1. I was not impressed with Eve so I completely understand why you DNFed it. I have been meaning to read the other two. I'm glad that both narrators in What's Left of Me have distinct personalities because I was a little worried about that. Great reviews!

    Katie’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's Left Of Me: I have yet to read this and I really want to- the cover is kinda genius
    Eve: I really hate it when there isn't anything particularly wrong with a book but you just cannot connect to it, def. staying away from this one
    The Memory of After: Not a fan of this one actually, I DNFed this.

    Great mini reviews, hon! <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked Eve, but I really wasn't impressed with the other books so I advice to DNF the complete series ;) What's left of me was great, I really liked the unique concept and I can't wait to read Level 2 (and yes, I'm using this title because I like it so much more :p)

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...