Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday (22) Best Books To Read For Halloween

A weekly meme hosted by the Broke and the Bookish

I haven’t done this meme in months, and I’ve missed it! This probably won’t become a regular thing again just yet, but I couldn’t pass up the chance to share some spooky reads with you! I would go with the normal topic this week of Scary Book Covers, but I’m too big of a scaredy cat for that.

But that doesn’t mean I don’t like to be spooked on occasion!

image

1. Sisters Red & Sweetly by Jackson Pearce

These books are the perfectly creepy blend of your childhood fantasies and nightmares. Just look at those covers!

2. Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross

Fairy Tales are kind of my thing, so I figured I’d recommend one of the most disturbing retellings I’ve run into. Seriously.

3. A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz

This is a hilariously dark middle grade read that I’d recommend to anyone in a heartbeat. And have I mention it’s being turned into a movie by Henry Selick (Nightmare Before Christmas, Coraline)? That’s the kind of creepy good story this is.

4. Splintered by A.G. Howard

This is NOT Disney’s Wonderland. It’s a disturbing, beautiful, and definitely creepy Wonderland like you’ve never seen it before!

5. The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett

There are nightmares and murders and paranormal monsters galore, but with all that high school drama we all secretly love. This is THE PERFECT Halloween read!

6. Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

If you want to go kick some paranormal butt, while laughing your butt off, this is the novel for you. You’ll be laughing ‘til you’re out of breathe, while still embarking on a thrilling paranormal adventure.

7. Ten by Gretchen McNiel

You guys. I hate gory, bloody, evil kinds of books. Especially of the murder mystery variety. And yet I loved this book like crazy! I was on the edge of my seat, and definitely left feeling completely terrified.

8. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

I just finished this, and it’s definitely one to add to any Halloween TBR pile. Peculiar orphans with mind-blowing abilities, plus a bunch of spoilery stuff of the creepy variety.

9. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter is the perfect anytime book series, but I think it’s especially well suited for Halloween time. There’s magic and mystery and TROLLS IN THE DUNGEON!

10. Tales of Beetle the Bard by J.K. Rowling

And if you don’t have time to squeeze an entire Harry Potter novel into your busy reading schedule, you have to read some classic wizarding fairy tales at the very least.

11. Grimm’s Fairy Tales

Or you could always read some good ol’ Muggle fairy tales (“What’s that? An illness?”) which are sure the fill you with memories of the past, and possibly some pretty darn weird nightmares. Start with The Girl Without Hands.

What are some of your go-to Halloween reads?

1 comment:

  1. I've read Sisters Red, but what's Sweetly based on? Didn't realize there was another one like it! I have to say Kill Me Softly and Splintered really catch my eye too....too bad I don't have more money lol. Sometimes I sincerely wish I wasn't a poor college student simply for the fact that I could buy more books! :P Miss Peregrine's Home was creepy....agreed. Lol good list!
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...