Thursday, December 19, 2013

Bite Sized Reviews: Origin & City of Ember

bitesized

Origin
 
 
Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date: September 4th, 2012
Genre: YA Sci-fi/Romance
Source: Gifted
When I Read It: August 20th, 2013

Pia has grown up in a secret laboratory hidden deep in the Amazon rain forest. She was raised by a team of scientists who have created her to be the start of a new immortal race. But on the night of her seventeenth birthday, Pia discovers a hole in the electric fence that surrounds her sterile home―and sneaks outside the compound for the first time in her life.

Free in the jungle, Pia meets Eio, a boy from a nearby village. Together, they embark on a race against time to discover the truth about Pia's origin―a truth with deadly consequences that will change their lives forever.

Origin is a beautifully told, shocking new way to look at an age-old desire: to live forever, no matter the cost.

For some reason I thought I wouldn't like this. After the first 60 or so pages, I really didn't, but then the story suddenly did a 180 and I fell in love with everything about it!

This book really makes you think, and question what you know about life. The scientific aspects were fascinating, while the story itself dealt with something more complicated and important that science.

Mysteries abound and morals are questioned, all on the quest to create the perfect human.
I wasn't a huge fan of the insta-love between Pia and Eio, but for whatever reason it didn't bother me nearly as much as I expected it to.

Pia was the most irritating whiny brat in the beginning, but once she'd discovered the real world and started thinking straight, she became an admiral, strong character.

Origin is incredibly unique, and a wonderfully satisfying standalone!

 
 
 
The City of Ember (Book of Ember, #1)
 
 
Publisher: Yearling
Release Date: March 13th, 2003
Genre: Dystopia
Source: Library
When I Read It: June 26th, 2013

Many hundreds of years ago, the city of Ember was created by the Builders to contain everything needed for human survival. It worked…but now the storerooms are almost out of food, crops are blighted, corruption is spreading through the city and worst of all—the lights are failing. Soon Ember could be engulfed by darkness….

But when two children, Lina and Doon, discover fragments of an ancient parchment, they begin to wonder if there could be a way out of Ember. Can they decipher the words from long ago and find a new future for everyone? Will the people of Ember listen to them?

The whole time I was reading this book, I had this weird feeling that I'd read it all before. It all seemed so familiar. It turns out that it's because I'd seen a ton of trailers for the movie right when it came out.

The premise is very promising and interesting, and it definitely delivers on all fronts. The world building is wonderful and the adventure and mystery in the novel were exciting and puzzling.
Nothing about the characters really stood out, but they were well written, and carried the story along.

The story was fairly simple, but I found myself wishing the book was longer and certain plot points had been expanded upon.

Definitely a wonderful read for all ages that will make many a happy reader.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear your liked Origin because I really want to read that one. I liked City of Ember and need to read the next book!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...