Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Book to Broadway Challenge!

broadway button

Surprise! I’m hosting another challenge! This one isn’t as upscale as the Fairy Tales Retold Challenge, and it’s mostly a personal challenge, but I figured I’d make it all ‘official’ and everything.

The challenge is to read any book OR play with a musical based on it, and then watch and/or listen to that musical. Sounds fun, right? This is a pretty specific challenge, without an enormous selection, but hopefully it’ll still be lots of fun!

  • This doesn’t actually have a specific start or end time, unless it would be simpler to stick to January 2014 – December 2014. I’m not picky!
  • Fiction, non-fiction, poetry, fairy tales, and short stories all count.
  • I’m personally only going to be reading/watching things which have made it to Broadway or West End, mainly because it’s a lot harder to track down recordings/soundtracks of shows that were only ever off-Broadway or regional productions.
  • Each book DOES NOT count until you’ve seen/listened to the musical.

Ultimately, have fun exposing yourself to excellent literature and musical theatre!

4 comments:

  1. This will be a challenge to find the books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only think of two: Wicked and Spring Awakening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for doing this!

    Actually, there are MANY "Broadway books" out there!

    Les Miserables
    The Phantom of the Opera
    The Sound of Music (Maria von Trapp wrote an autobiography, although I'm not sure of the title)
    Spring Awakening
    Pigmalian (the book My Fair Lady was based off of)
    Le Cage Aux Follies (The Bird Cage)
    Camelot (I'd imagine the book companion to this would be something like Knights of the Round Table or something)

    Many Disney films based on books have been brought to the stage. These include:
    Mary Poppins
    The Little Mermaid
    The Lion King (Disney released a series of SIX Lion King novels due to the popularity of the films)
    Tarzan (Google the books. There are several.)
    Beauty & the Beast (The classic fairy tale was originally a French legend. There are several novels that take the general basis of the legend & kind of run with it. )
    Peter Pan
    Aladdin is opening in the spring.
    Disney recently announced their hit Frozen will be onstage soon as well.
    The Jungle Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually later shared a list of possible reading material that was pretty thorough and included most of your selecitons: http://debzbookshelf.blogspot.com/2014/01/book-broadway-challenge-suggestions.html.

      I'm actually considering next year holding a challenge dedicated to reading the stories Disney has adapted, since 99% of their films are based on something, but that's quite a ways away!

      Delete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...