Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Book Review: Tumble & Fall by Alexandra Coutts

Tumble & Fall  
 
 
 
Publisher: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux (BYR)
Release Date: September 17th, 2013
Genre: Pre-Apocalyptic Fiction
Source: ARC for Review
Challenge(s): Debut Author
Find it: Amazon | B&N | Goodreads

A novel about the end of days full of surprising beginnings

The world is living in the shadow of oncoming disaster. An asteroid is set to strike the earth in just one week’s time; catastrophe is unavoidable. The question isn’t how to save the world—the question is, what to do with the time that's left? Against this stark backdrop, three island teens wrestle with intertwining stories of love, friendship and family—all with the ultimate stakes at hand.

Alexandra Coutts's TUMBLE & FALL is a powerful story of courage, love, and hope at the end of the world.

I was so excited for Tumble & Fall. It had this awesomely unique premise that had me jumping up and down with excitement, but unfortunately it soon became apparent that this was not my sort of book.

The lead characters were all pretty bland. None of them stood out from each other and the only way I could tell the difference between their stories were the supporting characters.

There were three separate story lines, which each held their own quite well, but I was disappointed that they really didn’t overlap at all, or have any sort of connection until the very end.

All of the romances in the story seemed artificial, and were dripping in insta-love. The book takes place over a short period of time which didn’t provide for the character and relationship development that I felt all involved needed.

Tumble & Fall was a fast read that I found enjoyable enough, but could’ve delivered so much more.

5 comments:

  1. This is a problem I've seen in a lot of reviews. Bland characters, bad romance, so I lost my interest a while ago. I'm sorry it wasn't good and I hope your next book is better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the instant love is a common theme now in YA books. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard absolutely nothing good about this novel, including a couple of DNFs, so I've stayed away from it. Still... I'm drawn to pretty covers like a moth to a light. Thankfully I've got reviewers like you to keep me from getting zapped. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hate to turn anyone off of a book, because this is only my personal opinion, but if you think it's not up your alley, that's your choice and I hope you find many more enjoyable reads!

      Delete
  4. Ugh, I couldn't even finish this book! It was SO boring. I didn't know what was going on and everything seemed pointless. Kudos for finishing, I hope your next read is more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...