Sunday, February 2, 2014

Cringeworthy Grammar Mistakes

I use Grammarly's plagiarism checker because I like to keep things family friendly here, and let’s just say that we don’t want a repeat of The Hunger Games on our hands

To all you grammar Nazi book worms , I thought I’d take a moment to share my top 5 most cringeworthy grammatical errors (not, like, mine personally. That would drive me crazy!) Though, with my choice of blog name and all the things wrong with it, maybe I shouldn’t be judging.

image

This is the 21st century, people! There are these things called spellcheckers which do all the hard stuff for you. I personally love Grammarly because it’s super thorough, and even just the free online version offers so much more than most others out there! The worst is when I see this coming from English degree holding adults.

image

Is it really that hard? I set my glasses THERE. I wonder where THEIR nose pads went. THEY’RE a vital part of my existence. Now, that was exceptionally random, but there is a point I’m trying to make which is that GRAMMAR is NOT as hard as the world seems to think it is!

image

This isn’t really about grammar mistakes but just the ignorance that has come about from the internet’s obsession with grammar. You don’t need to fix something if it isn’t broken!

image

Your is your, and you’re is you are. This is probably the easiest to avoid, and yet I see it everywhere! YOU’RE YOUR mother’s daughter. See, it’s easy!
image

I see this all the time, everywhere. I think one reason is because if you don’t phrase it just so, it sounds wrong regardless. But what I’ve notices is that people finally realize that saying you and me are doing x, y, and z. is wrong, so now anytime they’re writing something along those lines, it’s always with I instead of me. I was reading an excellent article the other day written by a well-educated person. And then I found this lovely nugget: “my sister and I’s achievement.” No. Just, no. If you can cut out everybody else you’re referring to and have it sound normal, then it’s right. Otherwise, you might need to rethink your sentence.

So, now that I’ve been a total jerk about grammar, any grammar mistakes that make you cringe? Any funny stories about grammar?

6 comments:

  1. Hmm, I don't feel the right person to say something about someone's English grammar, since it's not my native language & I think I often make mistakes :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, in the flock of blogs I follow, your blog has some of the best grammar! And even those mistakes you do make are clearly only because the message would otherwise be lost in translation.

      Delete
  2. This is easy, when people say Me and Whitney instead of Whitney and I. It makes me cringe and takes everything in my power not to correct them.

    I'm going to date myself and say there is also a Backstreet Boys song where they use don't instead of dosen't just because it rhymes. I lost a lot of respect for the boy band because of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate when grammar is compromised in the name of catchier lyrics! Ah well (:

      Delete
  3. OMG! I just realized I spelled doesn't wrong -- talk about bad grammar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, my name is Heather, I am a grammar nazi/spelling nazi

    I get that we make mistakes, but my problem comes from published works that have been checked by multiple people and programs, and still have errors. I have a mental issue, I can't read misspelt, poorly written sentences (sometimes I have to hold myself back on Facebook because people can't write)
    I recently had my own little rant too, but I don't think people will learn (cuz like y wud ya)

    88dreamers @ Seriesly Reading

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...