Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Mel’s Fairytale Survey

The Daily Prophecy

The amazing Mel at The Daily Prophecy came up with this super-cool fairytale survey not long ago, so I figured I’d join in on the fun!

PART 1. CLASSIC PRINCESSES.

Pinocchio – The boy whose nose grows when he lies.
Is there are book you lie about, because you feel ashamed for liking it?

If anything, it’s the opposite. I’m one of those annoying people who will complain about super popular books that I enjoyed. Not because I want to be mean, or that I’m ashamed for liking it, but I like to challenge the popular opinion and make people think and ask questions. (Yes, I’ve done this with The Hunger Games, Divergent, and more.)

Starters (Starters, #1)Beauty and the beast – The girl who fell in love with personality.
Which book do you love that has a hideous cover?

I love STARTERS by Lissa Price, but the original cover gives me the creeps! It’s actually a really nice, professional, eye-catching cover, but it’s also super creepy. The newer cover is lacking in quality, but at least it isn’t as creepy!


Deception's PrincessSnow White Hunted down for her beauty.
Do you ever buy a book based on the cover alone and if so, what is the last one?

I’m super careful about all the books I buy, so no, but I’ve added plenty of books to Goodreads based on the cover alone. Most recently DECPTION’S PRINCESS by Esther Friesner, as it was reminiscent of a certain Disney princess… and then the synopsis confirmed my suspicions.

Incarnate (Newsoul, #1)Sleeping Beauty – Cursed to sleep, awakened by true loves kiss.
What is your favorite book couple?

I think I’ll have to say Ana and Sam from INCARNATE because they’re both so cute, and their relationship is genuinely realistic. They’re both so devoted to each other, but they still have problems that they work through like any other couple.

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)Little Mermaid – Gave up on her old life for love.
Do you ever branch out to new genres or do you like to stick with the ones you know and love? If you try new things out, what is the latest book?

I really don’t branch out much at all, and I am infamous in my hatred of paranormal romance, but I read DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE and love it!

Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)Cinderella – Who lost her shoe after midnight.
What is the last book that made you stay up all night?

I haven’t willingly stayed up late in a long time because I have to wake up at 4:30 every morning except on weekends. But the last book that made me want to stay up late, and had me sitting in bed all morning on a Saturday was CRESS

The Comedy of ErrorsRapunzel – locked up in a tower.
What is  the worst book you’ve read last month?

I haven’t read a “worst book” in months *cough* Tumble and Fall *cough*, but the last meh book I’ve read was Shakespeare’s THE COMEDY OF ERRORS, which I’m performing next month (wacko old dad FTW!). It has too many plot holes and coincidences for my liking, but it’s super funny.


PART 2. MIX-MATCH.

Rump: The True Story of RumpelstiltskinAladdin – The poor boy who found a genie.
What is the latest book treasure/gem you found?

The latest book I’ve read (well, listened to) was RUMP by Liesl Shurtliff. It’s the most charming, hilarious middle-grade that I’ve read in a long time.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar ChildrenAlice in Wonderland – The girl who fell through a rabbit’s hole.
Which book made you really feel like you landed in another world?

MISS PEREGRINE”S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN had a surreal, unsettling feeling about it, and writing that managed to convince me that I’d landed in the world of Miss Peregrine and her Peculiar Children.

Sun and Moon, Ice and SnowEast of the sun and west of the moon – where a girl embarks on a journey to save her love.
Who is one of your favorite kick-ass heroines?

Can I name all three heroines from East O’ the Sun retellings? Because Cassie, Rose, and The Lass are all such strong, admirable heroines!

The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Trilogy, #1)The Frog Prince – where an enchanted prince becomes human again.
What is a book you thought you would hate, but end up loving?

I’m always hopeful that I will enjoy a book, but some reviews led me to worry about THE WINNER’S CURSE. I’m almost finished with it now, and it’s amazing!

EntwinedHansel and Gretel – left alone in the woods and captured by a witch.
Which duo (sister/sister, brother/sister) is your favorite and why?

I feel like there aren’t enough sibling stories out there, especially in YA, which is a shame since siblings can be awesome. I’ve always had an affinity towards the Weasley’s, but I absolutely love all the sisters in Heather Dixon’s ENTWINED! They have such great relationships with each other, but they’re all unique!


Tumble & FallLittle Red Riding Hood – almost eaten by a wolf dressed as her grandmother.
What book disappointed you after falling in love with the cover and blurb?

I guess now is the time to talk about Tumble and Fall. It has the most beautiful cover ever, and an awesomely unique synopsis, but it just fell flat.

Tiger LilyRumpelstiltskin – nobody knows his name.
Which book do you love that doesn’t get enough attention?

There are so many! One that comes to mind is TIGER LILY. It’s one of the most beautiful books I’ve ever read, but not many people have heard of it when I bring it up. I recommend it all the time! (And yet I STILL haven’t reviewed it!)

2 comments:

  1. I have read a lot of these books and many I hope to get to soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeay, thanks for joining :D I don't like the cover from Starters, but I've heard good things about the story. Deception's princess is for the same reason high on my wish list! Cress also made me stay up far too late. I can't wait to get started in my copy from The winner's curse and Tiger Lily is just such a beautiful book.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...