Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Top Ten Books If You Like Once Upon a Time


A weekly meme hosted by the
Broke and the Bookish

  As it is Fairy Tale Fortnight, I'm taking this weeks topic Top Ten Books If You Like X and running with it, filling in our X with the TV Show, Once Upon a Time.

Once_Upon_aTime_promo_image

I don't watch TV, with the exception of Once Upon a Time. I actually think the acting and writing is terrible, but the story keeps me coming back!

image

Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross

I had a lot of problems with this book, but the town of Beau Rivage is so reminiscent of Storybrooke, and the way the characters are all fairy tale characters but not quite is similar, but also distinctly different.

Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samantha Van Leer

Living in a fairytale isn't all it's cracked up to be. This book is light and fluffy, but also surprisingly deep. Those more emotional moments in Once Upon a Time that make your heart fly are a perfect match.

Enchanted by Alethea Kontis

Enchanted is a brilliant mash-up of so many fairy tales. My favorite part of Once Upon a Time is seeing how the tie all the fairy tales together, and Alethea Kontis does the same thing.
(BONUS: She stopped by last year to rant about Rumpelstiltskin!)

Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

This book is something special. So, so special. It's a darker Neverland than most of us are familiar with, similar to Once's Neverland. The entire book is deep and dark and painful and beautiful.

Splintered by A.G. Howard

I never got into Once Upon a Time in Wonderland. But we do venture into Wonderland a bit in Once. Splintered's Wonderland is very different, but it still captures that odd sense of mystery that can be found in Once Upon a Time.

Beastly by Alex Flinn

All of Alex Flinn's books are pretty great, but I think Beastly especially captures that sort of magic we find in Once. It has the unconventional romance between a monster of a man, and a beautiful bookworm that we all love.

Doon by Carie Corp and Lorie Langdon

The premise is that special characters are able to venture into magical town trapped in time. Sound familiar? Doon is not based on a fairy tale, but instead the awesome classic musical, Brigadoon.

Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge

Cruel Beauty is just what it sounds like. Cruel and Beautiful. The puzzles, the romance, the magic—they are all amazing! Nyx is similar to Emma, strong and complicated.

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

I love love love Sisters Red. Fierce heroines, magical creatures, and a plot so good you can't believe are just a few of the things these stories have in common.

The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer

Meyer is a master when it comes to tying fairytales into each other, and making us see these stories in a completely new way. She and the creators of Once Upon a Time are some of the best in this business!

What are some of your favorite fairytale books?

4 comments:

  1. Great List. I love Robin McKinley. It is a beautiful and magical retelling of Beauty and the beast. Plus, the book is also a young adult book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, we had the same topic, but the only author we had in common was Alex Flinn! :) Great list anyways, I'm going to go ahead and add a couple of these to my TBR shelf...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love once upon a time I'm planning on getting back into it this summer. I have read Tiger Lily, Splitered (which I wrote a very negative review on), The Lunar Chronicles, and Between the Lines. The only book I didn't have on my to-read list was Doon (which is on there now). There just isn't enough time for all the genres I love. I have been in a contemporary mood lately, but fairy tale fortnight is putting me back in the fairy tale mood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiger Lily, Cruel Beauty, Cinder, I very much approve of these three picks :D I also liked Splintered, Enchanted & Sisters red. I remember I wasn't a fan of Kill me softly and Bewitching was okay. I can't wait to read Between the lines.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...